We did what I want to call a "Dinner Swap."There were 8 of us total, so each of us was assigned a night (Mon-Thurs), every other week. On our assigned day we were in charge of dinner for the night--- to be prepared for the 8 of us girls. So basically you were assigned to make dinner twice a month. It was so fabulous. I mean really, who wants to cook a meal for just yourself? Not fun at all. If I am cooking for myself, I tend to grab something unhealthy--- or go out cause it is so much more convenient.
Here were some of the major perks to our Dinner Swaps:
1. Saved Money (we were only having to spend money 1 time over 8 days)
2. Practiced our cooking skills. We are all going to be pros at making dinner for our future families now. :)
3. Having a delicious, hot, healthy dinner ready to eat when I got home from work was awesome.
4. Helped reduce stress of having to decide what to make.
5. Tried new foods that otherwise we would have never eaten.
6. Accumulated some great recipes.
7. Great social time to be able to chill with great friends... even if it were for only a few minutes each night.
This idea is definitely easiest when geared towards roommates and those in college, but I have heard of families doing it with their neighbors and friends and it being a success as well.
Click here for an article with some great tips on how to get started with your own Dinner Swap.
Have any of you done a dinner swap before and have advice for others?