8.02.2010

Interval Treadmill Workout.

I like to go to the gym. I like that I see others working hard.... it makes me want to work out harder than them.  One thing I don't like is the treadmill. I know I need to do cardio so I force myself to do a minimum of 30 minutes each time I go.  It can be so monotonous. Some days are good, some days seem to drag on forever.
So instead of just increasing my time slightly over the thirty minutes I like to spice it up with interval running. It keeps my intensity up and I don't get so bored.  Plus I feel like I am pushing myself just a bit more.  
Interval Running Workout
1 minute at 5.5
1 minute at 7.0
1 minute at 8.5
repeat until 30 minutes is up

(You can adjust the speeds according to your run speed. The middle speed should be your normal running speed- or close to it at least.  Once you have your middle speed just add 1.5 and subtract 1.5 to get your high and low speeds).

I finish the 30 minutes covered in sweat. I sweat a lot. I didn't know I could sweat so much til I moved to Iowa. I have learned to appreciate the dry heat of Utah.  It would be a welcome change about right now.   

2 comments:

  1. I don't like running. I HATE running on a treadmill. I like seeing people working hard at the gym and knowing it isn't me. Man...what is my problem? Don't you want to start biking so I can have a buddy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin.. I don't like running either. I do it cause it is cheap, convenient, and I seem to get the best results the quickest. I would LOVE to start biking with you... It's a problem though when you don't have a bike.

    ReplyDelete