7.22.2010

Try This- Not That. Healthy Substitutions

Being the one doing the mixing, mashing, folding, and baking means that I am in control of what goes into my dishes.
I like control and I like cutting out calories and fat......
         so when it comes to baking substitutions here are some ideas on how you can cut some calories and the fat.
Sugar in fruit pies/cobblers-
Use this: Half the amount of sugar
Not this: All the sugar
Benefits: For everyone 1 cup of sugar you don't use you will save 744 calories. Plus when using fruits often the natural sugar and sweetness from the fruits is all you need

Flour in Cookies & Crusts(pizza)-
Use this: Half whole-wheat pastry flour and half all-purpose flour
Not this: Just all-purpose flour
Benefits: Whole wheat flour has upwards of 12 grams of fiber per cup compared to white which only has ~4 grams.

Cream or Whole Milk in Soups, muffins, puddings-
Use this: Skim or lowfat (1% or 2%) milk
Not this: Heavy cream or whole milk
Benefits: By replacing heavy cream you can slash up to 700 calories per cup. 

Cream Cheese in Cheesecakes-
Use this: Lowfat ricotta/reduced fat cream cheese
Not this: Regular Cream cheese
Benefits: Skim/low-fat Ricotta has more protein plus you will cut out around 60 grams of fat and 450 calories per cup.


Oil in brownies, fruit breads, muffins-
Use this: part applesauce or pureed pumpkin
Not this: Oil
Benefits: For each 1/2 cup you cut out, you'll save more than 900 calories and 100 grams of fat

Chocolate in Chocolate Desserts (like brownies, chocolate cake)- 
Use this: 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder 
Not this: 1 ounce of baking chocolate
Benefits: Substituting with powder can shave off 13 grams of fat and 85 calories 

Anytime it asks for Eggs
Use this: 1 egg + 2 egg whites or egg substitute 
Not this: 2 eggs
Benefits: Substituting with egg whites will cut out ~4 grams of fat and 25 calories

3 comments:

  1. Great substitutions! I am using a lot more honey in my baking, along with egg whites...every little bit helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ALL about making delicious, but healthier versions of my favorite foods. Some key ingredients for me are: Coconut Oil, White wheat, agave nectar, and ground flax meal. I rarely use sugar, butter, white flour, or eggs. I always substitute agave or honey for sugar, coconut oil for butter, and flax meal for eggs. The good news is: It still tastes good, but is good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies,
    I love all your suggestions! Honey is a great alternative I didn't mention-- Love using agave and coconut oil. I have heard of replacing the flax meal for eggs but I have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete