Greek Yogurt is all the graze right now--- I see it as the 'cool' friend. If you eat it, suddenly you are cool too.
What is greek yogurt?: Basically STRAINED REGULAR YOGURT-- yep that's it.
---It is just yogurt that has been strained in a cloth or filter, to remove the watery whey, giving a consistency between that of yogurt and cheese! So simply, it is thicker and creamier than it's regular yogurt counterpart.
You see it in all kinds of recipes being used as a substitute for cream cheeses or sour creams..... in sauces, with fruit... everyone seems to like the thicker texture. But for those of you who buy Greek Yogurt, you know it can be pretty darn expensive compared to your regular non-fat yogurt.
Did you know you can make your own greek style yogurt?? It is so Easy.
Here's the low-down on how to
make your own Greek Style Yogurt
- Put a strainer lined with a piece coffee filter or paper towel into a medium size bowl (or you can just use a cheese cloth).
- Dump the non-fat/low-fat yogurt into the center of the cloth. (you can even try flavored yogurt. Yummy).
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Place in fridge.
- Let the Whey drain out of the yogurt. (The length depends on the consistency that you want it- 12 hours is about right for typical greek yogurt consistency. Check your yogurt every few hours to use when it is the consistency you like it at).
- You can even use the strained out liquid whey and add it to smoothies etc. for an extra whey boost. Or just toss it.
(picture from here)
Trader Joe's Fat-free Plain Yogurt:
Serving Size: 1 cup
Trader Joe's Fat-free Greek Yogurt-
Serving size: 1 cup
Sodium: 70 mg
Protein: 22 grams
Have any of you tried making this before? !