7.27.2010

Eat Cake.

I was at the library today and saw this book. Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray. I really had no idea what it was about but I guess the part of me being hungry and the other part that I was in the mood for an easy read---this made for the perfect find. I read all of 2 pages when I came across this quote. Awesome.  

"Cakes have gotten a bad rap. People equate virtue with turning down dessert. There is always one person at the table who holds up her hand when I serve the cake. No, really, I couldn’t she says, and then gives her flat stomach a conspiratorial little pat. Everyone who is pressing a fork into that first tender layer looks at the person who declined the plate, and they all think, That person is better than I am. That person has discipline. But that isn’t a person with discipline; that is a person who has completely lost touch with joy. A slice of cake never made anybody fat. You don’t eat the whole cake. You don’t eat a cake every day of your life. You take the cake when it is offered because the cake is delicious. You have a slice of cake and what it reminds you of is someplace that’s safe, uncomplicated, without stress. A cake is a party, a birthday, a wedding. A cake is what’s served on the happiest days of your life."

I especially love those last few sentences. So true. I think about most of the cakes I have eaten and I have such fond memories correlated with them. After reading the passage, I sat back and thought about some of my favorite cakes.... and the memories flooded in.
My Wedding Cake.

I am not encouraging you to go out right now and Eat some Cake, but I love the idea presented above. I don't ever want to be the type of person that turns away all the Good stuff in life.  Enjoy all things in Moderation.... and don't be so worried about 'eating perfect' that you miss out on the good things in life.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, now I want cake, too! Thanks for the thought, I am always the one who wants cake and seconds! Also, looks like a beautiful cake for a beautiful bride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marci! I am so in on the moderation in ALL THINGS idea. Everybody needs a good treat now and then, right? I think it's a stress reliever!

    ReplyDelete