5.14.2010

Small Changes = Big Results

I love this article from Prevention entitled,  
Small Changes That Take Off Big Pounds.  

I am a firm believer of making little day to day changes compared to making huge drastic changes in your diet/life....  I find that those that are usually successful for the long-term have changed little things in their habits that they can continue to do forever.

 
I love when a study has been done that backs up my beliefs... read on. ----A study published in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine found that participants who made one small, potentially permanent change in their food choices and/or physical activity each week (such as drinking one fewer can of soda or walking 5 more minutes each day) lost more than twice as much belly fat, 2 1/2 more inches off their waistlines, and about 4 times more weight during a 4-month program, compared with those who followed traditional calorie-restriction and physical-activity guidelines. 

AWESOME..

The article goes on and gives 16 proven tips on what you can change to help lose those extra pounds.  A few of my favorites are. 

1. Climb 3 extra flights of stairs daily.  Most of us has access to stairs somewhere. I know at work I like to make it a purpose to go up and down them as much as possible.  

2. Follow the 1-mile rule. If your errands are less than 1 mile away, vow to walk them at a brisk pace instead of driving. Or park where you can run several errands within a mile instead of moving your car each time. Although this can be difficult during the winter months and in some locations, I love the idea. I catch myself driving to the gym that is less than a half mile away. Ironic I know. My summer goal is to ditch the car and run to the gym.   

3. Brush immediately After Dinner. If you are a late night snacker like me, this rule helps save you hundreds of calories. It works for me.... give it a try. 

4. Limit High fat foods to 1 per week.   Although this one is a hard one for me; when I have followed it, I have noticed I am more successful in my weight loss goals.

Check out the rest of their tips here

What is one small change that you  can do to make a big difference?

1 comment:

  1. I also do the "brush after dinner" trick...it always makes me refuse something sweet! Although I do love my sweets:)

    One small thing I do - we live in a small town, where half of the town has po boxes..therefore I have to go to the post office everyday to get my mail. I refuse to drive there (unless torrential rain/snow), so I get the stroller out and we walk there everyday!

    ReplyDelete