5.21.2010

Recipe Makeover - Potato Salad

I don't really like mayo... don't really like mustard.... and don't really like pickles. So needless to say Potato Salad does NOT rank at the top of my list.  I like the creamy texture but the overwhelming mayo flavor turns me off.  Plus I can't seem to justify all the calories and especially the fat in just one little serving.
So when I saw this recipe being spotlighted over at 'Healthy Delicious', I knew I wanted to give the traditional potato salad a makeover and try out this new healthier option using hummus and fat -free yogurt in place of mayo.  (no mayo, no mustard, and no pickles... just my style)

I gave it a try.... and I was pleasantly surprised. The flavor was good; a hint of hummus, but not too strong. Plus I felt no guilt as I went in for another spoonful.
The Mr. has many of the same feelings when it comes to Mayo and he too gave it a thumbs up.  It really is the perfect alternative for your traditional potato salad.  Here's the recipe.
(Sorry no picture from me. Camera still broken-- and yet to get a new one.... so instead check out 'Healthy Delicious' pic. Very pretty). 
  • 4 Yukon Gold potatoes
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 3/4 cup hummus
  • 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 Tbs cucumber- or you could use pickle here or really whatever your fave potato salad additions is.
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed (I didn't have any fresh on hand but I am sure that would have made it only better).  
  • salt and pepper TT
Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Place in a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until potatoes are tender (don't let them get too soft). Drain and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with the remaining ingredients, mixing well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 4-6
*Nutrition Comparisons* 
Original Mayo Potato Salad- per serving:  
437 calories, 33 grams fat, 3.9 grams fiber, 5.5 grams protein, 


Potato Salad Makeover: no mayo- per serving:  
193 calories, 5 grams fat, 6.5 grams fiber, 8.5 grams protein

That's a saving of 
244 calories 
28 grams of fat
and gives you 2.6 more grams of fiber, 
and 3 more grams of protein. 

2 comments:

  1. I am sad you don't like mustard or pickles - I love them both! Just kidding...I love a good potato salad, I bet the hummus/yogurt combo was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just tried the wheat pizza crust you posted and loved it! Thanks for putting it on here. Can't wait to see you guys soon!!

    ReplyDelete